Mullet sighting at justaddwater.dk

JustAddWater has implemented the mullet blog layout, and written an article about it. Here’s his description of the mullet:
1. At the top of our front page we list the latest 5 articles showing the headline, the excerpt and other relevant links and information:
2. Below the teasers of first 5 articles we show headlines along with publishing dates of the previous 35 articles.

Now if he would just implement a long tail archive

8 thoughts on “Mullet sighting at justaddwater.dk

1. necrodome March 16, 2006 / 11:01 pm

we all like it. scroll down in the site. “geçmiş yazılar” means older posts, in turkish.
    but i am going to implement an ajaxified “older posts”. i think it will be more usable with pagination, rather than listing all the titles.

2. Jon March 16, 2006 / 11:45 pm

Cool!
    Send me a link when you get it working… I’d like to check it out.

3. Jesper Rønn-Jensen March 17, 2006 / 12:59 am

Hey Jon.
    Thanks for picking this story up. Thomas is currently working on implementing the Long Tail Archive and I’m sure he’ll notify you when it’s done!
    /Jesper

4. Steve Williams March 18, 2006 / 10:01 am

Inspired by your blog entry, I did some minor mulletizing on the BayCHI event archives. For example:
    Those are huge pages. They really should be paginated, but I don’t have time for that right now, so I wanted to try the mullet approach to reduce the size of the HTML.
    It’s not a blog, so there wasn’t all that much to leave out of the earlier items. Primarily, I removed the location and links to the individual presentations, and I used a shorter date format.
    First, I changed the one-HTML-table-per-event code to more semantic markup for each event. That reduced the size of the page from about 130KB to around 90KB. (Alas, the rest of the page is still tables and transparent GIFs.)
    Then using the brief layout for all but the first ten events reduced the size to under 70KB. A substantial savings.

5. Steve Williams March 18, 2006 / 10:06 am

I AJAXized the index of my photo blog, based on some code from SilverStripe in New Zealand. It works really well, and degrades gracefully if CSS and/or Javascript aren’t available:
    mira.sbw.org/photos
    I think a similar approach for blog archives would work well, organized by date, category, or both.

6. Jon March 18, 2006 / 10:15 am

Looks great Steve!
    The nice thing about this technique is how subtle it is. I wouldn’t even have noticed it if you hadn’t pointed it out. But it does lighten the page substantially.

7. Jon March 18, 2006 / 10:30 am

And that AJAX treeview you used on your photoblog is like butter! I have to try that component out.

Comments are closed.